Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Conversation with God-My Dad..Part 1


I don't picture God like God at all. When I was a child, I thought he looked like Charlie Chaplin. I don't know why, but I did. My family was agnostic, but my grandmother was southern baptist. She didn't speak of God often, but went to church regularly...for a while, at least.


Then my sweet Great-Aunt Mary Sue (who just died Saturday..R.I.P) would take me to church with her, probably so that I could get out of my grandmothers hair.


I made the decision there, in Sunday School that God looked like Charlie Chaplin.


It wasn't until a few years ago, that I started to picture God as "My Dad", and when I did, I pictured him looking like a professor. Looks aren't important, but for me to get into talking with someone, I can't help but to put a face with a voice, with the conversation.

I call God, my "Dad" when I talk to him, because he is just that.He is all of our Dad's! He is our heavenly father. So he is my "dad". The difference between him and any other father is that he is omniscient and omnipresent-which no other father can be. Although, if you have had your father in your life as a child, I am sure you thought he was both when you were a child, not til adult-hood (or teenage years we you started sneaking out) did you realize that he was not either.

I picture God,sitting at a desk, with a big book in front of him, and pictures of whoever he is talking to at the time, and their loved ones in frames on the desk. He has white hair, a plaid shirt and a sweater vest. He looks as though he might smoke a pipe, the ones that smell like cherry. He waits patiently for our calls to come, and when they do, he is ecstatic to hear from us. He does not jump up and down, because he always has the best attitude and demeanor. His voice is soothing, and he is a good listener. He often gives you answers that sound like cliche's that you have to think about to get, for he is a scholar,a therapist,a doctor,and most of all, a father.

He knows what is right for you, and exactly what you are going to do. He is patient in the fact that he doesnt yell, or hang up on you when you cry about the same thing over and over again, making the same mistakes. He is respectable, but when you have acted "not so much" he doesnt call you out on it. He loves you just the same. He warns you of troubles, but believes in tough love, and lets you see for yourself. You have to learn your own lessons. It breaks his heart when we go through things, but he knows that this is the only way we will learn, and is wise and disciplined enough to let us go through whatever hard times we endure. WHATEVER they are, he knows we will learn and be better people because of them. Most of our decisions, he gives us advice on, but if we dont take it, he doesnt scold us, he just lets us see what the consequences are for ourselves.

He bails you out often, but we are soooooo involved in ourselves, that we often don't see. Yet he patiently,waits for our call, and gets exited when we take the time out of our day to talk to him.

I believe that when we dont call, he still takes care of business, because he is that giving, but he is saddened, and he rewards those who call on him often, and take his advice, out of selflessness and trust. He rewards those who are obedient, but he rewards us all everyday,anyways. But to those who are grateful, he is so pleased, that he pours out his blessings a little more freely. After all , it is only fair!

I picture God as a man, some picture him as a woman. I picture him in the flesh,although I know he is not. I dont think he minds. I think he is actually rather pleased that I picture him looking as though I always wished my father looked as a child. I love my Earthly Father, and everything about him now, but growing up, I wanted him to be sitting in a Study with bookcases for walls and a mahogany desk. Instead he wore John Lennon tee's and jeans, and I love that now. IT wasnt so much about the "look" but about the personality behind the look. Caring,patient, and wise. Clever and understanding, and always ready to "take care of business"...and my Heavenly Dad, is all of that and so much more.

I talk to him like a friend, a father and a pastor,and he understands and never places judgment, but tries to help me rationalize and gives me his word as advice. He keeps his promises, is always on time, and I can talk freely with him about some things I cant with my Earthly Father, or anyone else who roams this earth. He knows me better than anyone,and I cant get anything past him, so I dont even try.

Even if you feel as though you dont have a "Dad", I promise that you do!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post you! I loved the Dad post. Everyone needs to be reminded of our fathers love. If you didnt get to read Angles and Miracels at Fort Thompson you might want to check it out!

    Oh yeah and I have a great giveaway going on so register for that by leaving a comment!

    Hope your week is going well!

    Love and Prayers,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful post. It reminds me of the message from the Alchemist.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know who you are,what you think, and I will always return the favor! Muah!!!

How about you follow me, and I follow you, and we can walk around in big circles?

Twitter Updates

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The Soundtrack of ME....at the moment (actually this is me and Nicks soundtrack. Awwww)


    Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones